Giro d’Italia: International Day of Action to #RelocateTheRace – March 10, 2018
Calls are mounting for the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), the governing body of cycling, to take action to relocate the start of the famed Giro d’Italia cycling race from Israel.
Race organizers RCS MediaGroup are set to cash in with a reported 10 million euro payoff from Israel to host the 2018 Giro start May 4-7.
In exchange, RCS has been actively aiding the Israeli government in falsely portraying occupied East Jerusalem as part of Israel and its “unified capital,” joining US President Donald Trump in going against the entire international community.
UCI is not only standing idly by as one of its top races is used to cover up Israel’s violations of international law and Palestinian human rights, it also turns its head as the Israel Cycling Federation and the Israeli cycling team sponsor and participate in races through the occupied Palestinian territory.
Let’s step up pressure on professional cycling! Join the
International Day of Action to #RelocateTheRace – March 10, 2018
Israel has long borrowed from the playbook of the apartheid regime in South Africa, using sports to hide its decades-long military occupation and apartheid system imposed on the Palestinian people.
More than 120 human rights organizations representing millions, Palestinian Christian networks, renowned jurists, Palestinian officials, and members of European Parliament have all called for the race to be moved.
Join us on March 10 to tell UCI and Giro d’Italia that we ride on the wheels of justice!
- Organize a bike rally in your city. Involve local cycling groups.
- Hold a protest at the headquarters of your country’s cycling federation, of participating teams or sponsors.
- Get creative! Organize street theatre on two wheels, an obstacle course with checkpoints and settlements.
- Include the Giro d’Italia in events for Israeli Apartheid Week.
- Spread the word on social media! Share sample tweets, videos and memes below with the hashtag #RelocateTheRace.
Contact us for more information and to let us know about your plans: [email protected]
Let’s pedal for Palestinian rights!